Sunday, April 18, 2010

Brick by brick.....LEGO!!

It's was my younger son, Tristan's turn to "order" his birthday cake. for his 4th birthday...and he wasn't an easy customer. He changed his mind so many times and I had to keep abandoning idea after idea.... :p Ultimately, he decided on a Lego cake (and it had to have orange bricks., talk about detail boy....). So off I went to brainstorm on how to create one for him that would embody what Lego is all about, which is building and stacking.

That's the Lego reference model in the foreground :)

I think I outdid myself in terms of size... I was so afraid I didn't have enough to feed the kids that I made enough Lego bricks to feed two times the number of kids...and boy was the whole stack of cakes heavy! It was good exercise for my arms, I felt like I was carrying 10kg weights.....seriously.....gosh it was nuts....

It took me a number of days to finish up the whole thing and it didn't help that the weather was wet and I was constantly fighting with sticky fondant  (hate that!) that threatened to slide off the cake :( There were so many things I could have done better or differently which could have made it all better. It wasn't a perfect job to me but I'm glad my son overlooked the flaws and loved his cake. 

 Big bro Orion had to have part of the fun too!
The "icing" on the cake was that after his birthday party in school, on the way back home in the car, he spontaneously chirped "Thank you for the cake Mama!!" Oh my god, that made the crazy days worth every frustrating bit!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment